Thursday, March 21, 2013

UNIQ: EXCERPT FROM THE PLEDGE


THE PLEDGE

 

In early March, I went looking for a friend.  Funnily enough his name is (NAME)  He calls himself a post modern chef, and hails from the great land of New Zealand.  He sports a kind of pony tail and looks to have some Maori in him.  I met him when my wife and I went looking for a new restaurant.  My wife found out about   his restaurant on the Internet, and she chose it specifically because he is from New Zealand and I am always complaining about my lack of friends and my feelings of isolation and loneliness here in Japan.  “Japan is the most lonely country in the world,” is probably my most familiar lament- one I am sure my wife is well and truly sick of hearing. 

That night, my wife and I were the only two customers in the restaurant, so we received excellent service.  I remember Amigo asking me what I’d like to drink.  “I’ll just have a beer, thanks, mate.”  I said.  It turned out there was no beer.  Why?  I guess my (NAME) is just not running that kind of shop.  His main clientele is probably from the more up market side of the street. Regardless, it turned out myself and this quietly spoken, outwardly reserved, but friendly and cheerful person had a lot of other things in common.  For a start, he spent several years living in   Brisbane, Australia.  With his future as a chef more or less secure (he was actually a kind of New Zealand version of Masterchef), Amigo decided to do a course on Philosophy.  Specifically, he is part way through completing a Ph D in Logic.  Needless to say, our friendship began with very sound foundations, and we exchanged phone numbers, business cards and email addresses. 

“Are you on Facebook”, he asked, “because I am trying to get together with some of the kiwis in Nagoya for a few drinks.”  

“Sorry, mate,” I would have replied, “Facebook’s just not something I’ve ever really been interested in.” 

As is often the case, we failed to keep our promises to keep in touch.  People are busy with their own lives, running businesses, teaching classes and looking after their children, and so that naturally happens quite a lot.  Still, I never called, until the day I got back from the park after having drawn up some blueprints for my vision of starting a charity.  This was in the very, very formative stages of my idea to write a book.  So I just called him up

I’ve never had much of a sense of direction.  I’ve always been too busy thinking to pay much attention to important stuff like what color car my friend drives, or what the house I’m living in looks like, or even where it is.  At different times, I have actually forgotten those things.  Sometimes I feel like one of the world’s smartest, youngest  sufferers of dementia (without meaning to cause any offence to the sufferers and their families of that terrible affliction.)  Of course, I had a map on my friend's business card, but I just couldn’t follow it.  So I called him again from a street somewhere near his restaurant.

Hey, man, where is your restaurant?  I can’t find it.”

“Where are you now?  I’ll come and get you.”

“I’m near the Yellow Hat.”

“Oh,I see you.  Are you wearing an orange sweater?  Just turn around.”

And I did.  And there he was.  A little bit of magic still exists in this world after all.  Or at least I like to think so.  The rest of that story, about me giving my vision, can be found in my emails.  But this time, when I sat down to talk, he had a beer.  I haven’t asked him but he probably stocked beer just because of that first time I went to his restaurant.  He is just that kind of guy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment